.

Stop by & offer a few pointers, or point & laugh, as a few old farts figure out the fine art of living... Life on a Few Acres


Saturday, February 13, 2016

Pretty Girl Leonard Laid an EGG!

I know- "skin color" doesn't matter- they're all the same on the inside. Still, there's something about the colored eggs that tickles the fancy of children of all ages, eh? ;)

We here are no exception.  Our singular Easter egger was Queen of the day when, at 9 months, she shared this beauty.  As far as I know, it was this size right out of the gate- if there were smaller egg farts-practice eggs, we never saw them.

I feel like an old hand at this chicken wrangling stuff, as a few days prior, I'd noted that she was probably ready to lay.  I'd pulled this opinion out of my thin air, and offered it to another of the ole farts who wondered whether ms. Leonard was
a gal who only *dated* her own kind.  In retrospect, I think I'd unconsciously noted that she had stood still and let me pet her, which I had forgotten I had read is one sign of sexual maturation.  Something to do with standing still and lowering to the ground to accept the rooster.  So now the ? isn't when will she lay, but, What color is the durn thing.  I see blue, others green.  My other ?, for bonus points, is what are those nested irish pottery dishes for??  If you know, don't bother raisin' your hand- Just shout it out ;)

7 comments:

  1. I am going with BLUE....however to qualify that does the egg seem to change color depending on the color of the background plate? My eyes are green but depending on what color shirt I wear they can be dark or light....weird I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for responding, Fiona. My sense is the color changes with the light more than the with the change of back ground colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about the dishes, but I so agree about those colored eggs. They are so much fun! I really miss the variety I had with my very first chickens, but eventually settled down to just one breed.

    I think the eggs looks green to me because it has such a bright blue background. You all are right that color "changes" based on companion colors. I'm guessing if it was on bright green it would look blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the answer to the color of egg question has become obvious: I must get many many more easter eggers. Once they're all laying, I can have a continuum of blue-green eggs :D.

      Delete
    2. Not having blue or green eggs was the one thing I regretted about going to only one breed. I'm happy that we finally went with the Australorps, but I miss those colorful eggs!

      Delete
  4. I have not seen colored eggs. Just light brown and white. We will have both the eggs. I love to eat them in any manner...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi WW, thanks for stopping by! It was only a few years ago that I learned eggs came in assorted colors- but you are right, they're good any way shape or form. Enjoy yours when they come.

    ReplyDelete